Monday, September 22, 2008

Two weeks!

I have now been in Tlaxiaco, Mexico for two weeks, and I just now realized that I have been pronouncing the name of our city incorrectly! So, I was going by the general rule of pronounce the "x" as an English "h" as in Mexico and Oaxaca. Apparently the "x" in Tlaxiaco is pronounced as a "c." Okay, I can do that, now I pronounce the name correctly-it only took two weeks. We had our Sabbath day, today, Monday. It was wonderful, I slept in until about 9:30am and started to get on some of this week's reading material which includes, Intercessory Prayer, How to Read the Bible, and The Kneeling Christian. Currently I am into The Kneeling Christian, and the neat thing about that book is that no one knows who the author is, it just says, An Unknown Christian. It is very interesting. Then, today in the afternoon we hiked up a mountain near the base. It was incredible! It was honestly the hardest hike I have done in my life, steep and challenging, and the high altitude where we live doesn't help matters much for a girl from Michigan! The view from the top was spectacular, you could see for miles, and we also saw the town of Tlaxiaco from up there. We hiked for about five hours!
Last week we went through some pretty heavy material in class, the week was titled Death to Self week, and there is this rumor that we do something called Death Camp this upcoming week...supposedly we are going to be spending four days and nights in the wilderness of Mexico and fasting the entire time! That is going to be so tough! I would be lying if I said that I was sincerely looking forward to it...

No comments: